STATUS: Full Time, 12 month Contract
REPORTS TO: Director of Client Experience & Engagement, DSORC
REQUIREMENTS: Vulnerable Sector Check
The Champlain Community Support Network is a bilingual network of non-profit agencies that work together for a community where older adults and adults with disabilities have access to quality community health services that support and promote health, well-being, and independence.
The Community Services Advisor is responsible for providing support, education, and coaching to targeted hospital patient populations (Geriatric Emergency Management (GEM) & Emergency Department), staff and administrative services that support CCSN’s mission and vision.
This position is an on site in-person role at The Ottawa Hospital (Civic). The operational hours are 8:30 am to 4:00 pm Monday to Friday. The hours are 37.5 per week, including 30 minutes for lunch.
The CSS Advisor provides support, education, coaching to targeted hospital patients, staff and administrative services to:
- Enhance their understanding of the full spectrum of Community Support Services
- Build capacity and knowledge in utilizing existing tools and mechanisms to refer to and access Community Support Services (Caredove, Community Connections, Going Home etc).
- Build capacity and knowledge within the Community Support Sector to support referrals of clients from hospital.
- Sustain and grow relationships across hospital and community organizations
- Act as a resource to staff (including but not limited to GEM & Emergency Department), physicians and managers in supporting referrals to community support programs, and other community resources
- Coach patients and their families to educate and support the initiation of Community Support Services and their transition to home
- Build relationships that facilitate a coordinated regional approach to the continuum of care; maintain linkages with acute care and sub acute care partners, and Community Support Services
- Coach staff on utilizing access mechanisms for patients to Community Support Services.
- Provide education through events, at-the-elbow coaching, and other strategies to share CSS information to hospital team, including updates and changes to services, and supporting patient referral planning.
- Engage with other system access mechanisms (Going Home Program, Community Connections, Caredove etc) as well as CSS agencies to share experiences and opportunities based on observations in hospital, and to gather input and feedback from community services to inform hospital processes.
- Work with GEM Nurse, Social Worker & Geriatric team to support navigating patients through the continuum of care from hospital to community while building capacity
- Identify opportunities to translate learnings into improvements to access and service models under the direction of the Champlain Community Support Network
- Prepare regular, brief reports on activities, learnings, outcomes, and key performance indicators, to share with TOH, the CCSN, the Pilot Project Working Group, and other stakeholders.
- Other administrative tasks as required
QUALIFICATIONS AND EXPERIENCE
- Extensive knowledge and experience of the community support service sector in Champlain, including the continuum of services available, as well as key partner sectors.
- Strong understanding of the older adult population, and the complexity of needs that they may present with.
- Minimum of five years of direct experience in supporting older adults in navigating and accessing services, ideally in both hospital and community settings (community is essential, hospital will be considered an asset).
- Bilingualism (read, write, speak and understand) is an asset
- Customer-service oriented with solid administrative and time-management
- Intermediate experience in data collection and tracking mechanisms (1-3 years).
- Intermediate experience in education and coaching provision (1-3 years).
DEADLINE TO APPLY:
We are looking forward to hearing about how you meet the job criteria outlined and could contribute to the CCSN. Please submit your cover letter and resume by email to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line CSS Advisor by Friday, August 4th at 4pm EST. We thank all applicants for their interest, however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.