POSITION: Dementia Care Coach- Client Counselling/Navigation
STATUS: Open Recruitment
ENVIRONMENT: In-Person, Virtual
REPORTS TO: Director of Client Experience & Engagement
SALARY RANGE: $52,000-$65,000
Dementia affects our memory, thinking, emotions and ability to perform everyday tasks. In Ottawa and Renfrew County, 24,000 people live with a diagnosis of dementia. In the next decade, the number of diagnosed cases is expected to double. The Dementia Society receives funds from the Ontario Health and through additional fund development initiatives, we develop, deliver and innovate a wide range of social, recreational and educational programs to reduce isolation and engage people living with dementia and their caregivers and families in meaningful and supportive activities so that no-one faces dementia alone.
The work of a Dementia Care Coach is incredibly rewarding and equally challenging. The people living with dementia, care partners and caregivers we support have amazing stories filled with highs and lows, frustrations, and triumphs. It is in these moments and many in-between that you would make an impact. As a Dementia Care Coach, you will be responsible for assessing the individual needs of caregivers and persons living with dementia, providing supportive counselling to caregivers, supporting self-management goals and strengthening linkages between providers across the continuum of care. You won’t always know the answers to the questions you’re being asked, so your ability to be resourceful is key! We believe in human-centred, high-quality experiences.
We are transitioning to a hybrid work from the office and home model to support our community. Our support is available to the community Monday –Thursday from 18:30 am-8:00 pm, Friday and Saturday 8:30 am -4:00 pm. Evenings and weekends are shared between all team members as needed, in order to meet the needs of the clients.
Our current position available is focused in Ottawa East (Downtown/Centre, Vanier, Gloucester, Orleans, Cumberland, etc)
• Identify interventions that help improve the quality of life experienced by people living with dementia and their caregiver’s through screening, assessment, and care planning.
• Support clients in navigating the healthcare system to access required services, support, resources, and learning opportunities
• Deliver education series and other workshops to caregivers, persons with dementia and the public.
• In partnership with volunteers, collaboratively lead monthly caregiver support groups.
• Collaborate with professional and community support services to support client goals, problem solve, overcome barriers and facilitate warm transitions between providers.
• Maintain a client-centred approach to support individuals, caregivers and families to get the right support, at the place and at the right time.
Qualifications and Skills
• Minimum of 3 years experience in the health and/or social service sector. Regulated Health Care Professional preferred. Minimum post-secondary education.
• Language requirements- English (verbal & written), proficiency with a secondary language is an asset
• Experience working directly with people living with dementia and caregivers.
• Experience solving problems and engaging in quality improvement activities.
• Strong communication and organization skills.
• Demonstrates ability to take initiative and work independently.
• Counselling and psycho-therapeutic group facilitation an asset.
• Have a valid driver’s license and be able to drive across Ottawa and Renfrew County.
Carole is really looking forward to reviewing your cover letter and resume. In your cover letter, please let Carole know what you think is the main challenge caregivers are facing in today’s environment. Send your cover letter and resume by email to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line Dementia Care Coach.