Position: Training and Development Specialist
Status: Fixed Term Contract Ending March 31, 2023 (Flexible, max. 20 hours/week)
Environment: Hybrid / Various Locations in Ottawa
Reports to: Project Manager, Stronger Together
The Dementia Society of Ottawa and Renfrew County (DSORC) is a non-profit, charitable organization that links individuals with Alzheimer’s disease and other dementias and their families to support, education, and resources.
Dementia affects our memory, thinking, emotions and ability to perform everyday tasks. In Ottawa and Renfrew County, 24,000 people live with a diagnosis of dementia. In the next decade, the number of diagnosed cases is expected to double.
The work of the Dementia Society is incredibly rewarding and equally challenging. The people living with dementia, care partners and caregivers we support, have amazing stories filled with highs and lows, frustrations, and triumphs.
This individual is the primary Training and Development Specialist and the lead for the education component for a new program to create greater awareness and inclusion of people living with dementia and their caregivers in our region, working title, Stronger Together. This program runs until March 2023. The Training and Development Specialist, reporting to the Project Manager, is responsible for delivering educational information to individuals, local communities, organizations and businesses about how best to include and accommodate people living with dementia in our community. The successful candidate has excellent communication and listening skills, and experience delivering adult education programs.
Some travel may be required in order to deliver training in-person. Otherwise, you will be working from home.
- Supporting Project Manager in all education needs.
- Reviewing and optimizing learning strategies and materials.
- Learning about the business needs and tailoring the training to the business.
- Consulting with people living with dementia about the training modules.
- Delivering training sessions either in-person or virtually.
- Gathering feedback through surveys.
- Prospecting for potential businesses and service organizations to complete the dementia-inclusive training modules.
Qualifications and Skills
- Proficiency in English and French.
- Teaching/training delivery experience, specifically to adults.
- Excellent listening and communication skills.
- Strong business building skills.
- Experience delivering PowerPoint presentations.
- Understanding of dementia and the daily living challenges persons with dementia face.
- Experience as a care partner of a person with dementia (desired).
- Ability to work independently with little supervision.
- Ability to adapt to different business/organizational environments.
- Good knowledge of adult learning principles, facilitation techniques, both in person and virtually.
- Strong ability for teamwork and collaboration.
- Ability to work under tight deadlines in a rapidly shifting organizational environment.
- A sense of humour.
We are looking forward to reviewing your cover letter and resume. In your cover letter, please let us know what you think is the recipe for success when delivering an education session to adults. Send your cover letter and resume by email to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line Training and Development Specialist by Friday, December 5 at 4:00 p.m. EST. We thank all applicants for their interest, however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted. No phone or email enquiries please.