Aging In Place Volunteer
We're looking for hands-on volunteers to provide in-home support for people living with dementia
The Dementia Society has identified a need and an opportunity to better support people living in the community with dementia. As we age, 96% of Canadians wish to remain in their own home for as long as possible.
This innovative program will be led by an Occupational Therapist- Aging in Place Consultant. This lead will complete an assessment in order to provide recommendations and guide the turnkey “fitting up” services to support people living with dementia in their homes so they can continue to live in an environment that is safe and familiar to them for as long as possible.
Under the supervision of our Occupational Therapist – Aging in Place Consultant, volunteers in this role will work closely as a team to implement the recommendations made to help people living with dementia and their family in the Ottawa and Renfrew County can remain safe and supported while living in their homes.
The recommendations that provided by the Occupational Therapist – Aging in Place Consultant could vary greatly and that is where we need your help! Often, even when it is known what needs to be done and one has the resources, the effort to contact and organize all the services to put things in place are overwhelming for caregivers who are already deeply impacted by the demands of caring for someone with dementia. You could help people living with dementia and caregivers age in place by:
- Providing basic home improvement duties (painting a door, decluttering, putting up a picture, and other minor domestic repairs and renovations)
- Assistance with technology set up and training (setting up a new tablet, Google Home, Alexa, door alarms, wandering technology, etc.)
Participate in meaningful activities (playing a puzzle, reading a book with the person living with dementia, for example)
Primary Role and Responsibilities:
- Be willing and able to travel across Ottawa and Renfrew County upon request by the Occupational Therapist- Aging in Place Consultant for in house visits.
- Work closely with the Occupational Therapist – Aging in Place Consultant on various projects, which may include:
o Basic handyman duties (painting a door, putting up a picture, and other minor domestic repairs and renovations)
o Assistance with technology set up and training (setting up a new tablet, Google Home, Alexa, etc.)
o Participate in meaningful activities (playing a puzzle, reading a book with the person living with dementia, for example)
Qualifications and Skills:
- Basic home improvement skills
- Tech-savvy and comfortable with setting up new electronic devices and software, and help teach others to utilize technology
- Excellent interpersonal and communications skills
- Has a vehicle and driver’s license
- Ability to work independently with minimal supervision
- Professionalism and a positive disposition
- Reliability, punctuality, adaptability with the ability to take initiative
- General knowledge about the Dementia Society programs and services
- Training provided
- Bilingualism in English and French considered an asset
Successful applicants will submit a volunteer application form and provide a valid Ottawa Vulnerable Sector Police Record check and provide proof of vaccination. An initial telephone interview and reference checks will be conducted as part of the application process with the Volunteer Coordinator.
* Indicates required field