Make a Connection Volunteer
Make a Connection, Brighten Someone's Day
Volunteer for Make a Connection
Volunteers play a crucial role in the Make a Connection program by providing meaningful social interactions to persons living with dementia, and to enable caregivers to take a break. This is an age friendly opportunity and friends of all ages are invited to apply.
You can build a connection in-person, virtually, by telephone or a mix. Visits are typically 20 minutes to 1 hour on a weekly basis, and, if virtual, are on a variety of platforms such as the phone or Zoom, depending on the client’s preference and capabilities. You can Make a Connection through conversation, music, games and shared interests.
About The Make A Connection Program
The Make a Connection initiative helps people living with dementia and their caregivers socialize and enjoy meaningful interactions, both virtually and in person.
You can make a new friend and treat yourself to a restful break from your daily routine. To remove technical barriers and make a virtual connection, we also offer free tablets, Amazon Echo Shows (smart display and voice command device), along with personalized technical training from Connected Canadians mentors.
Primary Role and Responsibilities:
- Communicate with caregiver as needed to arrange visits
- Maintain communication with The Dementia Society (provide visit status, forward questions, and offer feedback)
Prepare and host remote and/or in-person visits
- Coordinate and prepare any particular items needed for your visit (photos, music, videos, a list of the client’s interest, etc.)
- Meet and engage with client in the preferred setting (phone, Zoom, in person etc.)
- Provide troubleshooting support to those experiencing technical difficulty (optional)
- Engage with participants and maintain enthusiasm, compassion, and patience
Qualifications and Skills:
- Positive attitude with excellent interpersonal skills
- Compassion and empathy
- A valid (within last 6 months) Vulnerable Sector Check is required, which we help facilitate
- Reliability – able to honour scheduled commitments
- Discretion – must maintain confidentiality
- People of all languages are invited- high demand for French speakers
For Remote or Virtual Visits:
- Tech-savvy, with the ability to independently troubleshoot common/minor technical issues such as audio/visual connectivity disruptions
- Reliable access to both internet and email
- Experience with Zoom or other online meeting platforms is an asset
- Patience and compassion when working with others who are not tech-savvy
What You Can Expect:
- Fill the form below: please upload your resume and add two references.
- Selected applicants will be invited for an interview, followed by a reference check.
- Successful applicants will be provided with orientation and role-specific training.
* Indicates required field